Call: 519-797-5862

Toll Free: 1-866-797-5862

Range Lights

The River Ranges still serve an important role as aids to navigation…especially in rough weather.

They have acted as sentinels for decades for fishermen and boaters seeking safe harbour.

The lights and foghorn have long been identified as part of our heritage.

They are the most photographed objects along the entire Bruce coast and attract people to Pioneer Park. They are, along with the Imperial Tower, the icons of our community.”

Saugeen Front, Saugeen Rear and McNab Point Range Lights were designated as Historical Sites in 2012.

Blueprints for range lights 1902

Saugeen Front Range

  • 1883

    First Range Light (oil) placed at north side of river mouth in wooden crib.

  • 1903

    Range Lights built at River mouth by Department of Oceans and Fisheries.

  • 1977

    Keepers turned lights and foghorn on and off until 1977 when it was automated.

  • 1937

    Foghorn added 1937 then added radio control so its now activated by Marine Radio. The fog horn lasts 3 seconds followed by 20 seconds of silence, stays on for 30 minutes.

Saugeen Front Range

Saugeen Front Range

Saugeen Rear Range Light

  • 1903

    Tapered Wooden structure built.

  • 1906

    Moved to present location near bridge about 2,500 feet from original.

  • 1988

    The DFO hired a company to strip the wood shingles and replace with aluminum siding. A group of volunteers stood around the Range Light to stop workers from doing their job. We convinced the DFO to replace the wood shingles preserving the 100yr old character of the Range Light.

Saugeen Rear Range Light

Saugeen Rear Range Light

McNab Point Range Light

  • 1887

    Built in 1887 as navigational aid to original harbor the light would line up to the Chantry Island Range to offer safe entrance into the Harbour of Refuge

  • 1950s

    Building stripped of shingles and covered with aluminum; left to ruin in 1950s.

  • 2009

    No longer operational. Propeller Club volunteers brought it back to original glory in 2009 they did a total restoration and replaced the shingles and paint.

McNabb Point Range Light

McNabb Point Range Light

Chantry Range Light

Chantry Range was located at the end of the Keepers Dock on Chantry Island.

This Range lined up will the McNabb Light allowing safe passage through the 400 ft gap so the sail boats could enter the Harbour of Refuge.

The Chantry Range was knocked into the Lake when hit by the Erie Stewart in a storm. On a clear day when taking a Tour to Chantry Island you can see the outline of the shipwreck and the cribs from the former dock.

Chantry Range Light

Chantry Range Light

Chantry Range Light

Chantry Range Light